Google Analytics

Monday, October 24, 2011

Fall Quilt - "Awesome" Fabric FQ Bundle

Last year for Christmas "Santa" got me the WHOLE line of "Awesome" fabrics by Sandy Gervais for Moda as a Fat Quarter Bundle. What I first did with those is I cut 1/4 of the short edge off of the FQ and then cut again to where I had 4 "charm" squares out of each FQ of the bundle.
With these squares I'm making a hexagon charm quilt. So this is what I have so far:


This is my hand/travel project I've been doing for awhile - It's coming along slowly. I think the English Paper piecing templates are about 3" wide.

So anyway the remaining bit of fabrics I was waiting for the Fall season to break out and do something with them. I came up with a plan do to Broken Dishes Blocks for the center - and have a big fat border with some fun appliques, using ONLY these fabrics.

I started out by picking out 18 fabrics from the bundle and cutting those into 16" squares.




Then I took each square and cut that up into 4- 8" smaller squares.

My pretty stack of 8" squares ;c)

I then arranged them by color ~


Then I paired them all up-


With a thin-lined pencil, on the back of the lightest square of each pair, I drew my stitching line 1/4" on each side of each diagonal.


I just lined up the square on my mat, and placed the ruler 1/4" away like this:


After all the lines were drawn, I pinned them Right Sides Together. I just used two pins on each side like so:


I then stitched on each line. Some people do this by just drawing ONE line on the diagonal, but I find I am more accurate if I draw the two stitching lines.


Now I press on both sides.



Then I cut on each diagonal, and also across each way.


I found a more efficient way to cut - by laying out your 4 sewn pairs on your mat like this. The red lines are where you would cut.

Then you have all of these cut in less strokes.

Then I took all my little HSTs and pressed them with starch.

There was 8 of each pair. and I laid them all out to make the broken dishes blocks.

While they were in order, I pinned them.

Took them to the machine and stitched ~

After the pairs were stitched, I then pressed those.

Pinned the pairs together and stitched. . .

Pressed with starch. . .

I pinned all the blocks up on the wall, if you use the same formula as me, you can get a center quilt that's a 7 blocks X 8 blocks layout.

I am almost finished with my Fat, Applique borders and should be able to update you soon with the result. The second half is even more exciting then the first. Also, I would like to add that this quilt WILL be done with the quilt -as-you-go method. . as usual ;c)

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful pair of quilts that you are making! And as usual, your photography and step-by-step explanations allow us to follow along as if we were right there. Good job, Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great instructional, Katie. I can't wait to see part two with the applique! The fabrics are yummy too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW, Katie, I should have asked what method of QAYG you use? I have been doing string quilts with the ones with narrow sashing. That is working very well, but I just dont trust myself doing the one where you fold over and stitch down on the back.

    ReplyDelete