Google Analytics

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Half-Square Triangle Shortcut

Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville.com just released her 5th step in her recent mystery "Roll Roll Cotton Boll" and we are now faced with 600 HSTs!!!!!!! Oh and by the way they are 1.5" finished.
Here's an easy way to do 8 at once:

Unfinished Size HST Needed:

If you need a different size, feel free to email me.

For RRCB you will use 4.5" squares.
Draw two lines diagonally, and one horizontally, and one vertically.


Your half line will be at the 2.25" mark.







With your two squares Right Sides Together, stitch a SCANT 1/4" from each diagonal line.


Cut on your diagonal lines.


Then cut on your other drawn lines, Vertically, and horizontally  (cut the previous cuts in half)


Trim dog ears, Press and Voila!

This quilt is now available in Bonnie Hunter's Quilting book called "String Fling"



15 comments:

  1. Nice job - thanks for documenting the measurements and saving me some work trying to figure them out myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my finished square will be 2", unfin 2.5" what size do I make my base square?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous chart and tutorial, thanks so very much! My Ocean Waves quilt top thanks you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie ... thank you for great tutorial and the chart to help with the math. I really like this method for making HSTs. I found you through Pinterest and repinned this tutorial to my boards.

    I have also linked to your tutorial on a post on my blog here ... http://scrapatches.blogspot.com/2012/10/mysterious-hsts.html

    If you would like me to remove this link or pin, just let me know and I will do so right away.

    Have a happy quilty day ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank You, looks great to see rather then guess, take care love what you did,,,Jeanne marie take care hUGS

    ReplyDelete
  6. THANKS!! great info! The only thing missing, but assumed is the 1/4" seam allowance right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. BAH-rilliant! One of the reasons I don't quilt more often is that I detest making all the little HSTs! Thanks for sharing :)
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Saw this referenced at A Little Gray blog. Love this method! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The 5 1/2" squares came out too small for me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was trying to remember how to do this the other day and couldn't, so thank you! I also came over from A Little Gray

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a bit confused here. On your graphic showing the drawn lines your text states... "With your two squares Right Sides Together stitch on both diagonally lines." Shouldn't this say to stitch 1/4" on each side of the drawn diagonal line?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I apologize for your being confused. I thought that the universal way to show stitching lines was to use a dashed/dotted line. Therefore, you can see in the graphic that you are to stitch on the 4 diagonal lines.

      Delete
  12. Thank you for sharing your tutorial.Will you please share the measurements for whole number hst or the formula? Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am confused on the chart. If you need 2 inch squares what size squares do you start with

    ReplyDelete