Google Analytics

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Red and White Scrap Quilt

Just finished this Red and White Flying Geese and String block quilt!
The red fabrics are all swaps from QuiltvilleSwap.  In the quiltville swap yahoo group we swap strips and sometimes, pieced blocks.  For this particular swap, it was around the time Bonnie was giving instructions for her "Orca Bay" mystery quilt.  So we decided to swap a set amount of string blocks, and also 4" strips!   I have SO MAnY leftover even after making this whole quilt!!!
I just love it.  I'm going to hopefully be able to hang this at my Mom's house, because she has red and black accents in her house.  And also I stole all of my quilts back when i moved into my own house ;c)

This is what I started with.   I had  the finished red scrappy string blocks that were 5.5" unfinished.   And I used the Fons and Porter Flying Geese ruler to cut triangles from the remaining red strips and white fabric to use as the sashing.  
I only had 2" and 1.5" red strips remaining, and I didn't want to cut into my red yardage, so I decided to cut the 1.5" strips into squares and make 4-patches for the cornerstones.   I used the 4 patches and white in alternating cornerstones.  
After I finished the quilt top, I felt like it neededddddd. . . SOMETHING. . .
So  went round and round with it and decided to add a wide red border and do scalloped edges.   I really wanted to soften up the sharp edges and I think the curvs does the trick perfectly!
I stitched together the 2" strips in 5.5" sections, and as luck would have it. . . I had exactly FOUR string blocks remaining. . so I used those 4 blocks in the 4 corners of my borders!   (love when things work out so perfectly like that!) 

I couldn't decide whether to use black or white binding. . . so I went to facebook for suggestions ;c)
Here we are before binding and after.  
For the back I used the remaining 5.5" strips of 2" sections sewn together, and put them in between two 4" white bands.  
The red that I used for this quilt's backing, is what was leftover from a T-shirt quilt.  So I didn't have quite enough for the whole back of the quilt. But that's okay because this forced me to make a cute pieced backing!  

I just used a plate from the kitchen to do the scallops, and I attached the binding totally by machine.  

Love the way this turned out and love the photos in the snow ;c)


  1. Love this quilt. The scalloped borders look like ruffles on the edge of the quilt. A great design!

  2. Just awesome! All your hard work paid off into a quilt that looks like it was perfectly planned. I love everything about it and I hope that your Mom will treasure it in her home. True art is making it all look easy!

  3. Thank you GeeMa and My Friend Vic!!!