I've made several T-shirt quilts, but never made a quilt out of just clothing. To be honest, a year ago, I probably wouldn't have felt confident enough to make a quilt out of clothing. Working with a variety of different fabrics raises the difficulty level significantly. Some fabrics are stretchy, some are very thin, and some fray like crazy. Using a lightweight fusible stablizer on some of the stretchy and thin fabrics helped a great deal. All-in-all I think they turned out quite well. I gained alot of confidence with these quilts and look forward to working with clothing again.
These are the stacks of clothing, after I had removed all of the seams, and unusable stuff.
I started with the blue fabrics first. Since there were more of them than the others, I choose the blues to use for the Log Cabin quilt. This is a combination of log cabin blocks and pocket blocks. (Pockets from the clothing) This is actually the first time I have made a log cabin quilt. Strips are 1.5" finished.
Next quilt I started on was the purples. Here are all of my squares, with drawn stitching lines for HSTs.
and here are all my HSTs, pressed and ready to be sewn. =cD
The finished top.
I used the "Trail to Treadlonia" block for the greens. Since there were not a whole lot of green fabrics, I used a white background fabric for this quilt.
Here are all my TTT blocks trimmed, and a pile of trimmings. ;c)
TTT blocks hanging on the wall. I was thinking about adding the pockets to this one, but it didn't look quite right.
For the red group, I kept it simple. Just some simple 3" finished squares and pockets.
Here are all my quilt tops, and backings. The backings are all homespuns.
Quilting on the Blue Quilt
Quilting on the Purple Quilt
Finished Purple Quilt
Finished Red Quilt
Finished Blue Quilt
Finished Green Quilt