*** Updated Nov 5 2013 ***
Hi everyone, I now have instructions to make this Crown Royal quilt (in 7 different sizes) available as a downloadable PDF booklet on my etsy page. Check it out now!
I made this quilt as a birthday gift for my friend Bill Anderson. His son, Mark Anderson was my senior prom date. We were also in show choir together and he was my dance partner senior year. Mark and I were very good friends growing up and I came to know and love his parents, Bill and Sandy.
Evidentally they had been saving/collecting crown royal bags for quite some time now. When I found out they were saving them I offered to make a quilt out of them. More literally I JUMPED at the opportunity. Making a crown royal bag quilt has been on my bucket list before I even started quilting.
I tried a few different ways of cutting up the CR bags, but this is what I found worked best. See the serged seams on the bags are on the outside?! If you hold the two pieces of fabric together, and cut just the seam off, you will basically be cutting out both sides at one time. Once I figured this out (yes, i'm slow) things went much more quickly! LOL
So here you can see all the pieces of the bag. This can be done with 2 cuts. Cut off both serged seams, and you will get your 3 pieces like this.
Of course this is AFTER you cut off the drawstring area.
I looked around for the perfect fabrics at Jo-anns. . no luck (suprise surprise, I know) I ended up going to WV Quilts in Barboursville and they have some lovely tone-on-tones that went perfectly with the bags. The gold/yellow that's used in the embroidery of the bags is a pale shiny yellow. I wanted to go a bit darker for the quilt. More of an orange-y yellow. This quilt is for a man, so I thought the darker gold would be more appropriate than a pale, feminine yellow. I think I made the right decision. . I really like the way it turned out.
Here's the finished top. The CR logos are 3.5" finished in the quilt and 4" UNfinished.
The inner sashing is the actual sides of the CR bags. I had to sew two strips together to get the fabric wide enough. I ran out of sides so on the outer edges of the sashing (inner-most border) I used quilt fabric. The points of the stars are also quilt fabric.
Here we are quilting the quilt! This quilted up super fast on my new machine ;c) It just took me a couple hours, if that.
As I was making the quilt, I took a bunch of photos of my basting process. I hope later today or tomorrow I'll be able to share my basting tutorial with you. I use 2x4s and fat safety pins.
Until then. . .
***Updated March 8th, 2012***
Quilt is now washed and dried and I took a couple more photos!