Just finished a quilt made from my friend's baby clothes.
These baby clothes were given to a quilter who was going to make a quilt out of them, but she got sick or got busy or something, and never was able to finish it. This previous quilter had cut up all the clothing into (rough) rectangles that measured 2.25" x 2.5" Some of these rectangles had been sewn into 9-patches. Everything was cut with a template and regular hand scissors (=c0
I thought it was odd that they were cut this size. Typically 9-patches are cut into squares, not rectangles. Also, if the squares were 2.5", as you probably can imagine, the possibilities for the blocks would have been MUCH greater. The blocks and therefore the QUILT could have been much bigger and there would have been many more block options, etc.,
BUT, I love a challenge, and so what I did was cut most of them down to 2" and treated them as strips to use with the EZ angle ruler. This way I could do flying geese and HSTs for blocks. I also cut a few of them into 2" squares and made NEW (even) 9-patches:c)
And here are an assortment of the 9-patch blocks on the top, and an assortment of my NEW blocks on the bottom. All of my new blocks measured 4.5" UNfinished. The HSTs of those sawtooth stars measured 1" FINISHED ! LOL ;c) Yes, very teeny tiny!
The finished quilt top: All of the fabric for the blocks (including the white) was made out of baby clothing. The striped rose print for the sashing and binding was picked out by the quilt's recipient. My friend, Beth, was nicknamed "Rose" when she was a little girl, so the rose has special significant to Jackie, her mom (for whom I made this quilt)
I found the inner border floral fabric and outer border pink fabric at Phylis's Quilt shop in Hurricane (Thank you for your help picking out fabrics Phyllis!!). The floral-y fabric had such a beautiful, vintage 80s-feel to it I think. AND, it included all the colors from Beth's baby clothes. It also helped make that transition from the stark white of the baby clothes used in the blocks. . to the creamy beige used in the striped rose print. I never thought I could make white and beige work together, but I really think it works in this quilt!
After all the piecing was complete - it was time for Katies' fun playtime. LOL
For each of the blocks, I quilted a circle/feather type of deal. I made a circle template with cardstock and marked just the outer circle, and did the feathers and inner circle by hand. (which is why they're not perfect and I WILL mark them NEXT time!)
And right now I'm working on a photo memory quilt - with the colors sage, brown and white. I picked out these fabrics for the quilt and will have a blog post on it soon! ;c)